Spaniard Rafael Nadal will return to competitions in Australia after almost a year away. But without a big goal of winning.
What can 37-year-old Rafael Nadal still hope for? After almost a year’s break, the Spaniard will return to competition during the tournament, which starts this Sunday in Brisbane, Australia.
Nadal, who has been away from the courts since the Australian Open in January 2023, has undergone two hip surgeries that have sidelined him from the courts and could signal the end of his career. The former world number 1, who is eagerly awaited by the Australian public, says he is “feeling good” but at the same time “it is impossible to think about winning tournaments today”. He hopes to be able to “go out there, feel competitive and do his best.” “Nothing is impossible, but for me, just being here is a victory.”
Nadal, who will learn the name of his first opponent in Brisbane on Saturday, knows he is not at his best yet: “It’s not like I’ve been training at a high intensity for the last six months. I’ve just been training. With a very good intensity for the last month.”
He should line up at the Australian Open in January (15th to 28th) and begin his rise ahead of Roland-Garros, which he has won a record 14 times in his career. And this will probably be the last opportunity to see the sacred beast of the Porte d’Auteuil on the clay of Paris. “I can’t have very long-term goals at this stage of my career,” Mallorcan said. “I don’t see myself playing for a very long time,” he added.